GREEN TEA STEAMED CHICKEN
4 boneless chicken thighs or 2 whole breasts (can also use fish in this recipe - will take shorter steaming time)
6 green onions, finely chopped
1/4 bunch fresh chervil
1 garlic clove, large, finely chopped
4 thin slices ginger
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3⁄4 cup green tea, brewed hot
1 bunch bok choy
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 red chillies, finely chopped
2 tbsp soy sauce
squeeze of lemon juice
1 each grapefruit, orange and lime
steamed rice, to serve
1. Using a small, sharp knife cut a slash in each of the chicken, forming a small cavity in each thigh.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the green onion, chervil, garlic, ginger, salt and ground white pepper.
3. Stuff the chicken thigh cavities with the onion mixture, sealing each with a toothpick, then place in a steamer basket.
4. Pour the green tea in the wok and bring to the boil.
5. Place the chicken in its basket on a rack above the boiling green tea in the wok.
6. Cover the wok and steam the chicken for 20 minutes until cooked through over a high heat, topping up the green tea as necessary.
7. Remove the chicken from the steamer.
8. Allow the chicken thighs to cool for 5 minutes.
9. While the chicken is cooling, bring a pan of water to the boil. Remove the tough ends from the bok choy. Add to the boiling water and cook for 1 minute, then drain.
10. In a bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, sesame seeds, chopped coriander, chilies, soy sauce and lemon juice. Zest the grapefruit, orange and the lime. Mix the three zests together and then whisk into the sesame oil mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and then thinly slice. Place a handful in the center of each plate.
11. Toss the chicken pieces with the sesame oil dressing, then place on top of zucchini.
12. Serve with the bok choy and steamed rice. Optional: garnish with cilantro and mint
MATCHA GREEN TEA TRUFFLES
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
1 cup coconut butter
1 1/2 T matcha green tea powder
1½ T 2 T maple syrup
9 Medjool dates, pitted
¼ cup almond butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
2 T almond milk
1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder, for coating
In a food processor, combine the filling ingredients.
Mix for about a minute until everything looks well combined.
Roll into balls and set in the freezer to firm up.
Melt the chocolate and stir in almond milk; roll the balls into melted chocolate, using two forks to help guide the balls around in the chocolate. Place on parchment or wax paper to harden. Sprinkle with matcha powder while still wet.